Due to the lack of uniformly recognized standards, many SME customers will be confused by some security professional terms. They do not understand the difference between the cybersecurity professional terms and their similarities. For business leaders, especially those SMEs who do not have full-time personnel to deal with and solve cybersecurity problems, it is very important to understand the true meaning of digital security and digital privacy in order to make the right decisions in information protection and privacy management. The difference between security and privacy can be summarized in the following 10 concepts:
- Security is the process, privacy is the result.
- Security is action, privacy is the result of successful action
- Security is a problem, privacy is a prejudgment to the problem
- Security is the strategy, privacy is the result
- Privacy is a state of existence, and security is a component that supports this existence
- Security is a tactical strategy, and privacy is the goal of this tactical strategy
- Security can guarantee the confidentiality of information, and privacy often requires such confidentiality
- Privacy is more than a legal issue, security is more than a technical issue
- Security is a confidential letter, and privacy is the successful delivery of information in the confidential letter
- Information security is a security tool and behavior that focuses on information assets, and privacy protection is the use and protection of personal information using these assets.
Encryption is just a security method to protect information. It can also prevent unauthorized entities from accessing personal privacy or personal information, but privacy contains much more than this easily hidden information. Privacy should also include the use and sharing of personal information, personal access to related information, the right to choose as well as clear personal information, and how to use and share it. Enterprises or institutions need a comprehensive privacy protection framework to ensure that all privacy standards are included, based, and implemented. Here are some mainstream and widely recognized privacy frameworks:
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- AICPA/CICA Privacy Framework / Generally Accepted Privacy Principles (GAPP)
- Fair Information Practice Principles（FIPs）
- APEC Privacy Framework
There are many overlaps between digital security and digital privacy, but it ends up with different behavior and goals. For information security personnel, all forms and types of information assets are subject to security control, and personal information protection is only a subset of it. Both SMEs and large enterprises must implement information security controls to reduce the risk of privacy leakage in their respective business environments.
LIFARS has conducted a large number of high-profile matters in civil and criminal proceedings, incident response investigations, including analysis of advanced malware engineered by sophisticated state-sponsored attackers. Our digital forensics lab and client-centric team offer a tailored solution for your digital forensic investigation requirements. Diligent collection and analysis help provide court-admissible evidence that will aid your company or law enforcement in court proceedings. In addition, our Digital Forensics team can provide expert witness testimony. Digital forensic includes also malware analysis, reverse engineering, and sandbox testing services to analyze and dissect malware samples collected for matters where keyloggers, ransomware programs, Trojans, worms, botnets, command, and control channels, are used by the threat actor.