Sony just seems to be a highly demanded target for hackers. After a massive data breach a few years ago, the company is facing some potentially very serious problems today.
Employees of Sony Pictures started seeing a troubling image of a skeleton on their computer screens along with the following message:
Hacked By #GOP
We’ve already warned you, and this is just a beginning.
We continue till our request be met.
We’ve obtained all your Internal data, Including your secrets and top secrets.
If you don’t obey us, we’ll release data shown below to the world.
Determine what will you do till November the 24th, 11:00 PM (GMT).
The rest of the message is a list of zip files that contain the “secrets and top secrets.” Based on reddit.com examinations of the zip files’ content (lists of files). It seems their servers were hacked and a large amount of information has been stolen. Here are some snippets of what is contained within them:
- txt:Diaz, Cameron – Passport.pdf
- txt:Angelina Jolie passport.pdf
- txt:FTP passwords thailand.xls
- txt:FTP passwords indonesia.xls
- txt:FTP passwords CTHE Hong Kong.xls
- txt:FTP passwords thailand pacific.xls
- txt:FTP passwords arg.xls
- txt:FTP passwords cam.xls
- txt:FTP passwords col.xls
- txt:FTP passwords phil.xls
- txt:FTP passwords malaysia.xls
This is literally just a drop in the sea, there are just so many files within the lists that contain passwords and other sensitive information that it might be a wise choice for Sony to meet the “demands” of the #GOP (Guardians of Peace) hacking group.